This is a two part class – Sat., July 25th 2-3:30pm and Tuesday, July 28th 2-3:30pm.
Participants must attend both sessions.
Participants must acquire materials in advance.
Student # limited to 12. Student age – 18 and up.
In this Virtual Quill and Salmon Earring Making Class June will teach:
- How to prepare porcupine quills for sewing onto a hide
- Line basting onto the hide to keep quill work even
- Adding beads to the piece and adding the backing onto the quilled piece will be part of the demonstration
- Add an earring hook to the piece
- Small spool of size b nymo thread (or thread of your choice) white or neutral color thread
- Size 11 short beading needle
- Embroidery scissor
- A sharp pencil
- 8 porcupine quills, all the same thickness and length. (as close as possible) June prefers quills not to be too thick but not really thin either order porcupine quills from Moscow Hide and Fur from Moscow, Idaho. Phone number 208-882-0601. They ship out priority the next working day.
- Four strips of brain tanned deer hide, moose hide, or sturdy felt in color of your choice.
- If you are using sturdy felt, then you should back it with paper from a brown grocery bag while beading. The four strips of hide or sturdy felt should be ¼” wide by 1” long.
- Two earring hooks
- Size 11 seed beads (I use two colors and my choices will be green and metallic brown) Shipwreck Beads. 1(800)950-4230 Lacey, WA.
- Small ruler
- A bowl filled with warm water for softening porcupine quills
- A Styrofoam strip 1” by 2” wide
- Starting July 24th (when the museum is open), those of you who live in Sitka can purchase a kit from June for $25.00 She will be at the museum on the 24 To purchase a kit from her, please bring a check written to June Pardue (or cash in an envelope with your name on it).
If there are questions, people can email June at email@example.com
To sign up for this class, call 907-747-8981
After registration, participants will be sent the Zoom link for the virtual class.